[LinuxBIOS] Problem with elfboot

Hamish Guthrie hamish at prodigi.ch
Mon Apr 18 18:17:12 CEST 2005

I am having a stupid problem trying to get etherboot (or anything else for
that matter) to boot using elfboot.

I am testing this with LinuxBIOS V1 because I have no mainboards at the
moment supported by V2, and the port I am doing currently is taking its'
time!

Once my LinuxBIOS has configured everything, the last bit of serial output
is:

Wrote linuxbios table at: 00000500 - 00000670  checksum 320f

Welcome to elfboot, the open sourced starter.
January 2002, Eric Biederman.
Version 1.2

ROMBase = 0x464c457f
null

The null message appears to be coming from the stream->init() function call
in elfboot.c, and I am having trouble finding out exactly where things are
going wrong.

In my config I have the following:

option USE_GENERIC_ROM=1
option USE_ELF_BOOT=1
option ZKERNEL_START=0xfffc0000

I am guessing that the stream->init() function is attempting to set up a
stream and with the USE_GENERIC_ROM option set, I would imagine that this
should really call the stream init code in rom_fill_inbuf.c, but the debug
statements in that are not getting printed.

I was guessing that maybe elfboot could not find the ROM device, and I have
verified (with the ROMBase = 0x464c457 debug statement above) that I am
indeed able to read valid data from 0xfffc0000. The value printed is the
first 4 bytes of the etherboot elf image I am trying to load, so I
definately have the ROM chip selects enabled.

Any pointers please??

Hamish