[LinuxBIOS] Some success with Geode GX1 and Linuxbios V2

Peter Stuge stuge-linuxbios at cdy.org
Wed Apr 20 01:30:27 CEST 2005

On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 05:27:21PM +0200, Hamish Guthrie wrote:
> I thought I would just let you and the list know that I have
> managed to make some good progress with porting the Geode
> GX1/cs5530 code to V2.

I'll say. Great job!

> PCI: Using configuration type 1
[..]
> PCI: Probing PCI hardware
> PCI: Probing PCI hardware (bus 00)
[..]
> PCI: Fixup for MediaGX/Geode Slave Disconnect Boundary (0x41=0x9c)
[..]
> VFS: Cannot open root device "hda3" or unknown-block(0,0)
> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
> unknown-block(0,0)
>
> I notice the kernel is not doing a PCI probe - I wonder why?

It seems to find the bus according to the (bus 00) message, but no
devices on that bus. I seem to remember the Geode PCI had some
quirks with regard to addressing, but I could be mistaken.

> I obviously have a fair amount more cleanup to do, and to make sure
> I can mount filesystems and that the Interrupts do indeed work.

The kernel output you sent showed no IDE controller being detected,
and hence no hda, but that's just the result of Linux not finding any
PCI devices. Interrupts aren't important just yet either, Linux has
to see the device first.

> There is another area I may have a look at and that is to attempt
> to plug in support for the notorious Geode VSA stuff, which at last
> AMD have released proper specs for.

Nice. It would complete the circle for the Geodes. The VSMs are
binary-only modules though, so I guess they can cause some licensing
problems if linked into LinuxBIOS. :\

//Peter