[LinuxBIOS] BIOS Saver RD1

Richard Smith smithbone at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 21:48:59 CEST 2005

On 8/12/05, Ken Fuchs <kfuchs at winternet.com> wrote:

> Sorry, you are both wrong.  The USB cable is used _only_ for power.
> All data goes through the parallel port.  It is a slow (5 minutes to
> burn and 2 minutes to verify), cheap burner, but I have found it to be
> extremely reliable.

I was refering to any usb programmer. USB 1 can do 12Mbps. or roughly
a 1MB/s but you can't program a flash at that rate.  So you ether
download the contents into the programmer or the programmer polls for
when the device is ready to accept the next byte.  In a polling setup
a USB 2.0 device my be just as slow a parallel port device because its
not the transport thats the problem.  Its the implementation.

USB 2 devices however by virtue of being newer may indeed be faster
but its not ncecssarly  because they are USB 2.

--
Richard A. Smith