[LinuxBIOS] RD1 BIOS Savior [was Re: No known linux compatable BIOS programmer ?]

Paul Millar p.millar at physics.gla.ac.uk
Mon Aug 15 11:56:26 CEST 2005

On Sunday 14 Aug 2005 10:26, Jeff Carr wrote:
> On 08/12/2005 10:47 PM, Ken Fuchs wrote:
> > I don't know of any, but I haven't looked beyond the Enhanced Willem
> > Universal Programmer and its MS Windows program.
>
> OK. I'll put that on my todo list of things to look for.

I have some user-land software for getting the Willem board working under
Linux.

Back a little while back (while an impoverished student), I decided it was the
best available burner that had publicly available schematics and PCB layout,
so built it, planning on writing the software myself. (first PCB project, it
was a miracle it worked :)

I wrote some software that handles some 27cxx chips (read, write, ...), but
the code's written so it should be fairly easy to add support for other
chips.

From the posts, I figured others might want the software too, so spend some of
last weekend finishing off porting the software to using Linux's ppdev
(rather than hitting the parallel port directly).  I got most of the way
there (just some timing issues left) before my 5v regulator died.

So, I have some non-functional (but hopefully not too far off) software.  I
hope to have the regulator fixed today, so should be able to hunt down the
remaining bugs soon.

Would people be interested, either in the software or in helping improve it?

Cheers,

Paul.