[LinuxBIOS] about make LinuxBIOS 64bit for Opteron

Ronald G Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Fri Dec 16 19:35:59 CET 2005

Lu, Yinghai wrote:
> I'm thinking to make LinuxBIOS to run at 64 bit mode so
> it can access 40 bit address in one instruction
> we just need to
> 1. change entry32.inc to entry64.inc...
> 2. change secondary.S to support 64 bit
> 3. change most code32 to code64
> The problem is that we may need make Etherboot and mkelfImage to support
> 64 bit too...
> how do you think about it?
> YH

I think we have to do it.

That said, BEFORE this effort starts, I want to make sure that EVERY
SINGLE OPTERON TARGET works as well as it did 6 months ago. And,
currently, I don't think that is the case -- see ward's letter.

We need to get this code base back to being more solid than it currently is.