[LinuxBIOS] Eventually a RAM problem for slow booting Epia-M

Richard Smith smithbone at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 18:03:15 CET 2005

On 12/20/05, Christian Sühs <chris at suehsi.de> wrote:

> > Ram dosen't make any sense.  There are log messages that occur way
> > before the RAM is initialized.  What log level are you using?
> >

> MAXIMUM_CONSOLE_LOGLEVEL=8
> DEFAULT_CONSOLE_LOGLEVEL=8

Chage it to 9.  9 is printk_spew

However I just looked at the epia-m auto.c main() and the serial port
is not enabled until _after_ enable_smbus().  So something in your
smbus may be hanging things up until it times out.

Try this:

in epia-m/auto.c comment out line 124, enable_smbus() and re-run.
With loglevel 9 you should get the "In auto.c main()" message pretty
quick.  If that works then try moveing enable_smbus() to after the
serial init.

If that crashes or hangs then you will have to leave it alone and
debug code prior to main() and find out where its looping to cause the
pause.

Look at southbridge/via/vt8235/vt8235_early_serial.c to see how to
send messages out the serial port.

--
Richard A. Smith