VGABIOS

Li-Ta Lo ollie at lanl.gov
Mon Feb 7 06:04:01 CET 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-07 at 01:24, Jon Smirl wrote:
> Your work on VGABIOS has been mentioned on the Linux kernel mailing
> list. Right now we are trying to add VGA reset capability to the
> kernel. This needs to be done at two points, reseting of secondary
> cards at boot (the system BIOS should reset the primary one) and
> reseting of cards if needed when coming out of suspend/resume.
>
> There has been talk of adding emu86 to the kernel. Where's the source
> for your 32K version? I'd also like to look at your code for setting
> up the environment to run the VBIOS. PPC/IA64 people have been asking
> for us to add emu86 support so that they can reset their cards. With a
> 32K emu86 there is no need for us to use vm86 mode.

The source code is available from LinuxBIOS CVS
	 cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/freebios

the directory for the emulator are

	freebios2/src/devices/emulator/x86emu

and

	freebios2/src/include/x86emu

The emulator is slightly larger than 32KB. For the Tyan S2885
mainboard, the difference of the final romimage is 41376 bytes.

> Is LinuxBIOS part of the main kernel tree or is it separate?

It has its own tree.

Ollie