Embedded Linux

Stefan Reinauer stepan at openbios.org
Mon Feb 21 23:22:00 CET 2005

* Gin <ginlin at nexcom.com.tw> [050222 10:07]:
> Don't know if anyone has a good tool package in mind that I can use to
> develop an Embedded Linux. We want a linux that is just enough to run
> the flash_rom program+usb support and we hope it would be small enough
> so we can fit it into a Bios chip. It's all for the convenience of
> updating Bios in the future. As you image, we are closed to support
> Linuxbios officially in our products.

If it's just about reading a file from usb and writing it to flash, you
might want to have a look at filo. It should be easy to integrate the
functionality of flash_rom into it, so you don't need a full blown linux
system in flash.
Otherwise it is very much dependent on your flash size whether you can
fit Linux in there or not. 512k _might_ be enough if you really squeeze,
but unlikely.