speaker beeper

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Wed Jan 12 07:54:01 CET 2005

"Ronald G. Minnich" <rminnich at lanl.gov> writes:

> On Wed, 12 Jan 2005, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
>
> > Unfortunately I don't believe we have an pc-speaker output coded for the
> > LinuxBIOS case.  I keep play with the idea of morse code console, using
> > the pc-speaker :)  You would not want full debugging on but it might be
> > useful for your kind of scenario.
>
> now that's a cool idea, Eric, I didn't know you knew morse code!

Not very well.  The idea originally came from Alan Cox with respect to
the kernel.  I have simply been mulling it over for a while.  With
the realization a couple of days ago that the PIT is easily accessible
makes it that much more attractive.

I think morse code would actually tie in better with the post code
infrastructure than general console traffic.  That would keep
the volume of data low enough so as to be meaningful.  Even
if you did not know morse code.

> How about for the failure case:

:)

Except that usually the failure case does not print a message.

But a boot sequence that when like
But never got to ----.

Could be pretty telling.

Eric