POST cards [was: speaker beeper]

Peter Stuge stuge-linuxbios at cdy.org
Thu Jan 13 14:38:00 CET 2005

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 08:07:00AM -0700, Ronald G. Minnich wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, Peter Stuge wrote:
>
> > What are good features for a POST card besides being a Universal
> > board? (dual voltage)
>
> you have to make sure that it won't keep a machine from turning on.
> I have 5V post cards that when put in some mainboards won't allow
> them to power up.

Ouch! Does anyone know what the problem is?

Also, do you recall which models any of those mainboards were?

> > I've seen memory on POST cards, giving scrollback of the last 32
> > seen codes, but I'm not sure how useful that is..
>
> very useful to me anyway.

Right, for bringing up a board/BIOS I agree it's useful. :) I just
thought about the hw store I'm making it for, they only need them
for their tech people handling returns.

I figure why not add a few neat features to it as well, since they
were considering making large batches and offering them for sale to
anyone else.

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 08:07:15AM -0700, Ronald G. Minnich wrote:
> actually, a very handy thing would be a post card with a serial
> port ...

That's a good idea!

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 09:55:41AM -0700, Ronald G. Minnich wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, Bari Ari wrote:
> > With a serial port for output?
>
> yeah. A BASIC Stamp ought to be able to do the deed.

I'll probably just put a PIC there for the serial port and any other
peripheral stuff.

Thanks for the ideas!

//Peter