linuxbios on geode gx1.....

Bari Ari bari at onelabs.com
Thu Jan 13 16:19:01 CET 2005

ramesh bios wrote:

> I have been thinking about getting the AMD-PIC at some
> point to port linux on to it. Currently, they're being
> sold with Windows CE on it. Apparently, it has a
> gensys bios on it that only loads "signed" OSes. I did
> notice that Linspire announced that they have a Linux
> port for it so that's a step in the right direction.

We looked at the PIC for the LinuxBIOS port. It would just need a
socketed flash dropped in for development. The port is straightforward
since the docs are all available.

Any x86 Linux distribution would work for the OS. The whole idea of the
signed BIOS and OS is so that if you were using the device say in the
middle of Mongolia, a service call is out of the question if the user
loads some app. that would require an OS reinstall to recover a crashed
system.

-Bari