Off-Topic - Really Inexpensive Computer[was: linuxbios on geode gx1.....]

ramesh bios ramesh_bios at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 14 17:37:00 CET 2005

> Why even consider x86? ARM SOC + LinuxARM can
> support broadband and all
> the above mentioned apps. for far lower price and
> power consumption. For
> example Freescale has an ARM SOC for <$5 (quan 1M+)
> with MMX type
> instructions, VoIP, SVGA, MPEG-4 decode 30fps, USB +
> Sound.
>
> -Bari

That's an excellent question to which I don't have a
good answer. I'd be all for it.

I have noticed though, that there aren't that many low
cost (under the USD$100 price tag) full system type
arm boards showing up, at least in my area. How about
for you?

I guess maybe I haven't searched very hard. I'd be
thrilled to find an xscale board at that price. I
would very likely be one of millions in this region
who'd buy an arm based solution if it matched the
PIC's hardware feature list at the same price. I can
imagine whole industries springing up here to start
providing software and services around such a
solution.

Ramesh