Anybody having success with EPIA 800? (was Re: EPIA halting after vt8601 init?)

mark.wilkinson at 2pmtech.com mark.wilkinson at 2pmtech.com
Thu Jan 20 23:38:01 CET 2005

Hi Al,

Quoting Al Hooton <al at hootons.org>:

> On Thu, 2005-01-20 at 09:45 -0700, Ronald G. Minnich wrote:
>> I'm quite certain it is memory, this is always the scenario with this type
>> of output. I may still be wrong, but I doubt it. Certain problems occur
>> over and over again, and this looks to be one of them. Can you be sure
>> that your northbridge setup is duplicating fuctory bios?
>
> 	Short form: is *anybody* currently taking a CVS download, and
> successfully building/running for an EPIA 800 target?  If so, please let
> me know -- I'm beating my head against some kind of wierdness that I
> have not yet grokked, and I'm wondering if something has broken since
> the last know time this worked.

The short form answer is yes and no. I have a mostly current EPIA cvs
download,
that despite my best efforts at code tidying, continues to build and run every
now and again.

 From reading the thread here, it looks like you are getting to the
bottom of the
  code in northbridge/via/vt8601/raminit.c

i'd suggest trying this

just before the

             print_err("vt8601 done.");

    line, add

             dumpnorth(north);

    and compare the register settings against the lspci -xxx -s 0:0.0

You may need to tweek your logging level to get output from dumpnorth.

The important registers are 0x64->0x66, 0x68, 0x69

I had similer troubles (hanging at vt8601 done) until i did this. Turned out I
had PC133 memory and the config was setting up for PC100

Depending on the values from the factory bios, you may need to alter the
definitions of DIMM_PC133 and DIMM_CL2 at the top of raminit.c to get you
going.

Mark.