Clarification about TianoCore licensing (fwd)

Ronald G. Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Fri Jan 21 07:48:00 CET 2005

An FYI from intel.

Thanks, Andrew!

ron

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 10:12:02 -0800
From: Andrew Kelly <akelly at collab.net>

To: Ronald G. Minnich <rminnich at lanl.gov>
Subject: Clarification about TianoCore licensing

Ron,

I noticed on the Linuxbios mailing list that there was a misinterpretation
of the TianoCore licensing and I wanted to clear it up.  In the thread
http://www.clustermatic.org/pipermail/linuxbios/2005-January/010286.html
its stated:

---------------------------
Grant of License to Use
[..]
You acknowledge and agree that You will not, directly or indirectly: (i)
reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble or otherwise attempt to
discover the underlying source code or underlying ideas or algorithms of
the Software; (ii) modify, translate, or create derivative works based
on the Software; (iii) rent, lease, distribute, sell, resell or assign,
or otherwise transfer rights to the Software; or (iv) remove any
proprietary notices in the Software.
[..]
------------------

This is correct verbage, but it describes the use of the CollabNet
platform that the site is built upon, not the source code Intel has opened
up (in other words, CollabNet's Enterprise Edition collaborative
development platform is indeed proprietary).  However this in no way is
related to the code being developed using this platform.  The license for
each project's codebase is defined on a project-by-project basis, with the
only restriction being that they are open source (we anticipate other
platform firmware-related projects starting up on the site, both from
inside and outside of Intel).  Section 3 of the site Terms of Service
describes this:

<snip>
3. Other Licenses

This site contains other licenses applicable to content on this site
("Other Licenses"), which are chosen on a project-by-project basis. All
content within a project is governed by the license referenced on that
project's homepage. All Intel-sponsored projects (as indicated on the
project homepage) will be governed by the BSD License from Intel
<http://www.tianocore.org/intelbsd.html> , with the exception of the
Fat-Driver project, which is governed by the BSD License (Modified for
FAT32 by Intel) <http://www.tianocore.org/fat32license.html> . All
non-Intel sponsored projects will be governed by the license of choice of
the project owner, so long as the license is approved by the Open Source
Initiative <http://www.opensource.org/> .

<snip>

Rest assured the Intel code on TianoCore is released under BSD.  Sorry for
the confusion, and I'd appreciate it if you'd pass this on when you feel
its appropriate.

Thanks,

Andrew K.