RFC: Generic shadow mechanism useable from a payload

Richard Smith smithbone at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 07:12:00 CET 2005

Thinking about ADLO and the shadow enable/disable got some wheels turning.

I've been spending lots of time in V2 and I was wondering if the same
type of methodology can't work for ADLO.

In V2 there are specifc .c files that do thing in a chipset specific
way and the auto.c includes them as necesary.  Those get compiled and
then stuck in the startup assembly.

What if we created a shadow.c file that was in the northbridge
directory with a simple API type setup that enabled and disabled the
various shadow ranges.

Then the ADLO build system could just romcc these files and the loader
would include them just like crt0.S does.  That way there are no
callbacks across the payload boundry yet you could setup ADLO or other
payloads so they would work in a chipset agnostic way.

I suppose that that FILO and the emulator render most of ADLO
un-needed but if you are going to try and use FreeDOS or Windoze as an
OS then you will need ADLO.

--
Richard A. Smith