Boot Windows Please!

Adam Sulmicki adam at cfar.umd.edu
Wed Jan 26 09:25:00 CET 2005

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, Richard Smith wrote:

> I don't see any reason that ADLO sould not be able to boot FreeDOS.
> ADLO is a deriative of the bios from the bochs project so if you can
> get bochs to boot FreeDOS or MSDOS then the same should be possible
> under ADLO.

starting with FreeDOS is probably a good idea since it will be easier to
figure out what the problems are. You could compile FreeDOS with
debugging, or something like that so you know why it is failing. etc.

(be sure to be fixing bochs bios, not FreeDOS).

> At one point I tried to sync up ADLO with the current version of the
> bochs bios but it would not boot.  The IDE routines in ADLO seem to be
> more correct than the stock stuff in bochs.

or perhaps to put it other way around; 95% of current problems with BOCHS
bios is related to the ide driver. Get IDE driver right and it is quite
possible most of the stuff will work.

if anyone cares here's current change log for bios from the bochs project.

http://bochs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/topper.pl?name=Project+Page&url=http://sourceforge.net/projects/bochs