Fw: Re: Documentation [was: new FSF campaign ..]

Peter Karlsson petekarl at student.chalmers.se
Thu Mar 3 07:23:00 CET 2005

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Ronald G. Minnich wrote:

> so, peter, you want to accumulate the Glossary for us :-)

Sure. It's the least I could do. What would be required of me? I just
downloaded a snapshot (the last time I tried cvs it didn't work), so I'll
have a look at the code (I'm not good at C or x86 asm though).

A small start might be:
I2C - Inter-Integrated-Circuit, a bidirectional 2-wire bus for efficient
inter-IC control. See 'http://www.esacademy.com/faq/i2c/index.htm' for
more info.

Code examples(?): ...
VID - Vendor ID, a way of identifying the hardware manufacturer. See
'http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/bus/PCI/infreq.mspx' and
'http://pciids.sourceforge.net/' for more info.

A way of obtaining info for your hardware is through the 'lspci' command.
Simply type 'lspci -n' in the console (or an xterm) or 'lspci -vn' for
more verbose output.
DID - Device ID, a way of identifying the hardware in question. See above
for more info.

Is this too "dumbed-down"? I would like some connection with examples,
hence the stub in the I2C section. Any
suggestions/improvements/critique/comments welcome.

And as someone else mentioned that explanation of config options is
needed; why not use doxygen (or similar tool), which seems a really easy
way to document the code and outputs, text, html, LaTeX etc.?

Best regards

Peter K