Does anybody needs LinuxBIOS for VMware virtual machines?

Ronald G. Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Tue Mar 8 03:47:03 CET 2005

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005, Richard Smith wrote:

> Yep. not to bad.  I've got the beginnings of the port already done.  I
> got hung up on getting my dump_spd routine to return somthing else
> besides zero.  Its really wierd.  I can actually see the data on the
> SMbus happening but I don't ever seem to get a result back.

ah, richard, it just occurred to me. A lot of the spd code starts the op,
and waits for the 'active' bit to go to 0 in the status. If the CPU is too
fast, it will sample the 'active' bit before the smbus hardware starts to
do anything. Then you read back bad data.

As I found on some chipsets, the CPU can be too fast, and it should:
1. start op
2. wait for 'smbus active' indicator to go to 1
3. wait for 'smbus active' indicator to go to 0

is this by any chance your problem?

ron