[LinuxBIOS] Names names.. [was: Linux vs. Open?]

David Hendricks cro_marmot at comcast.net
Tue Mar 15 07:21:32 CET 2005

HASH - Hardware And SHit

"LinuxBIOS begins in the HASH stage where it initializes the memory
controller and CPU, scans system busses, etc. before booting a payload."
We could call the bootloader stage BASH, external ROMs (SCSI, VGA) RASH,
and any other software SASH. The -ASH ending is incredibly versatile.

Or if you prefer names without profanity:
HIC: Hardware initialization code
HEC: Hardware enabling code
MIR: Mainboard Initialization Routines
MIS: Mainboard Initialization Stuff
NAB: Not A Bootloader
NAP: Not A Payload

I'm still not entirely clear on why a new acronym is necessary, though.
Perhaps we should try to clear up the definition of the word "payload"
more than using another acronym to describe what is meant by the word
"BIOS" since BIOS is already sort of a generic term for a wad of
hardware initialization routines. Then we can explain why "Linux" is in
the name of the project. Or perhaps the solution would be to change the
name of the project back to FreeBIOS. If not that, we can call it
Minnich's BIOS (Since it rhymes with LinuxBIOS) and pray that nobody
calls it MinixBIOS :)