[LinuxBIOS] Re: Error in compiling STPC Consumer

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Tue Mar 29 06:44:21 CEST 2005

Kevin O'Connor <kevin at koconnor.net> writes:

> On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 08:54:18AM -0700, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> > All you have to do is not tell romcc it has mmx or sse registers.
> > For a modern memory controller that gets awfully tight but for a
> > simpler memory controller it should be doable, to make everything
> > fit.  I almost had the Opteron memory controller working in just 8
> > registers.
>
> Just out of curiosity, would getting romcc to work in 64bit mode be
> worthwhile?  It would give the compiler access to eight additional 64
> bit registers..

Potentially the down side is that we are going to loose at
least 4KiB of the ROM for page tables.   The benefit
is 8 additional general purpose registers and 8 more sse registers.

The code is designed to be portable so it shouldn't be too
hard to do a 64bit port.  So have fun if you want to try it.

The biggest potential benefit on the romcc side is being able to avoid
inlining some procedure calls but that is a much harder problem.

Eric