[LinuxBIOS] Simulator to test BIOS

Richard Smith smithbone at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 14:50:26 CEST 2005

> I want any simulator that i can use as virtual machine to test my romimage
> without burning it in to actual chip.
>
> I there is any  such software or alternative .

Not really.  Doing this is very difficult.  Since to have an emulator
up and running you already have chips that have been initialized and
in a lot of cases you can't tell if your code really did what it was
suppoed to do.

You might want to look at bochs or vmware both of those packages can
be fed a bios image.   But I don't think they will be that useful for
the chip init phase of things.

Burning flashes is just one of the things you have to accept in the
BIOS developement world.
A good ROM emulator helps a _lot_ but only if you have a board that
has a replaceable flash.

--
Richard A. Smith