[LinuxBIOS] smartcore-p5 fails to elfboot both FILO and etherboot

Kjell Svensson lists at endian.se
Fri May 13 22:02:56 CEST 2005

Hi LinuxBIOS list subscribers,

I've been struggling for a couple of days now trying to get LinuxBIOS
working on a DigitalLogic SmartCore-P5 166MHz PC/104 card.
I am using the v1 tree, since the v1 tree contained smartcore support,
but the v2 tree does not.
I had no problems building and flashing the LinuxBIOS, and it starts up
just fine and ends up in elfboot as expected. Elfboot reports to find
my payload, loads it, and attempts to start executing it. At that
point, nothing more happens. Due to the limited "debugability" at this
point, it's hard to say exactly what has happened, but a serial output
character I have put early in the FILO startup code is not showing up
so I guess the FILO code is never reached at all(?)
I have verified that the filo elf image I'm trying to load is OK by

I have searched both the archives and other parts of the Internet for
some hints about this, but the only interesting thing I was able to
find was a FAQ in the FILO tree saying there was a bug in some
linuxbios/elfboot checksum calculation routine that would cause FILO to
crash. According to that FAQ, using the latest linuxbios patches should
fix this problem. But I couldn't find any patches newer than the v1
stable tree, so I assumed this was old info(?)...

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Any suggestions would be highly
appreciated.
The v2 tree contains support for another DigitalLogic card that I'm not
familiar with. Would there be any chance that config would work on my
SmartCore-P5 card?

Cheers,
/Kjell