[LinuxBIOS] VIA EPIA M10000 (Nehemiah) CentaurHauls Stepping 5 support status

John Galloway jrg at toasterfish.com
Wed Nov 9 09:15:23 CET 2005

On Nov 8, 2005, at 11:46 PM, tristan wrote:

> Another question: VIA has published a "FastBoot" BIOS that seems to
> be a
> fork of LinuxBIOS, since it's a fork and LinuxBIOS is covered by
> GPL, is
> FastBoot a GPL violation? Someone has ever had the sources of
> FastBoot?
There was some discussion of this on the VIA-Arena forum but I don't
know that any certain evidence was produced.  It seems very unlikely
that VIA
wrote FastBoot from scratch so the general consensus was that they
are likely violating the GPL from LinuxBios.  But getting any sort of
interaction
from VIA on such is also likely going to be difficult as they pretty
much do
not offer support for anyone other than large customers.  I seem to
recall
that FastBoot is also setup to boot Windows only, though I'm not sure
what
this means, if true, from a technical point of view (support only
booting from a FAT
file system or some such?).
   -jrg