[LinuxBIOS] x86_64: apic id lift patch

Ronald G Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Wed Nov 23 21:23:41 CET 2005

yhlu wrote:
> sth about SRAT in LinuxBIOS,  I have put SRAT dynamically support in
> LinuxBIOS, but the whole acpi support still need dsdt, current we only
> have dsdt for AMD chipset in LB. And we can not have the access the dsdt
> asl from Nvidia chipset yet...

yeah, this is the great thing about ACPI, it has put us into a whole new
  era of copyrighted stuff. ACPI tables describe hardware, and are
copyright bios vendors. The question of which ACPI bits we can use in
linuxbios is unresolved. AMD has committed to open-source ACPI tables,
but ... what about companies like nvidia? unknown. And, to add to the
fun, the mainboard vendors don't own their own ACPI tables -- the BIOS
vendors do. So the mainboard vendor has their hardware design encoded
into ACPI tables, which are copyright the bios vendor, not the mainboard
vendor.

ACPI is a looming problem for all the open-source bios efforts out there.

I don't much like ACPI. It's just another mechanism for hiding
information and limiting its distribution.

ron