[LinuxBIOS] Re: topics for linuxbios summit

yhlu yinghailu at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 06:04:29 CEST 2005

On 9/6/05, Eric W. Biederman <ebiederman at lnxi.com> wrote:

> "Lu, Yinghai" <yinghai.lu at amd.com> writes:
>
> > Any thing that we need to prepare?
> >
> > 1. dual core: cpu scan in northbridge.c or amd_sibling_init...
> > 2. Cache as RAM....
> > 3. ACPI: how to create DSDT ( Config.lb <http://Config.lb> + scan to
> produce AMI directly?)
> > Only support _PRT at first step?
> > 4. ACPI: SRAT scan pci conf?
> > 5. Open Firmware support in Kernel for i386 and x86_64
> > 6. OpenEFI or FreeEFI as payload for LinuxBIOS....?
>
> Before we generate ACPI or anything else we need to move the relevant
> information
> into the internal device tree.

YH: Good point, But I worry that we make LinuxBIOS more complicated.

> 7. USB ROM eumluator in Linux....
> > 8. Serverworks chipset: Who and how?
> > 9. CK804 support etc...., Steven from Bench?
> > 10. K8 E0 memhole support in raminit.c or northbridge.c?
>
> Worth discussing. But this has always been very successfully handled
> in northbridge.c on Intel chipsets and it works equally well on
> AMD chipsets. The implementation should be in patch 4/16.

YH: That is good feature. Please consider to add several option in CMOS for
that
0: auto 1: 512M, 2:1G, 3: 2G----------> need 2 bits

11. LinuxBIOS Maintenance. How can we do better?

YH: I agree we need
a. one process for coordination such as chipset support. and share source
code before publish ( three parties NDA?)
c. one process for source code release control..., stable tag...
b. move back the list and public source tree to US.

Eric