[LinuxBIOS] PLCC removal trick

Jim Cooper jimc at rmtg.com
Thu Sep 15 20:48:43 CEST 2005

 I have heard of using canned air to blow the solder out and crystallize
it, but I don't think I would try this.  I use a heat gun and pair of IC
tweezers.  Whatever you do, add some solder paste so it reflows first.
Ideally you should use a tip for the PLCC that concentrates the heat on
the legs of the chip and doesn't overheat the chip itself.  Take a look
at the temp ratings of the chip if you use the heatgun approach.  Most
chips are only rated to take that kind of heat a little longer than it
takes to reflow the solder.