[LinuxBIOS] Building a viable rom *without* the fallback image

Richard Smith smithbone at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 18:00:33 CEST 2005

On 9/16/05, Stefan Reinauer <stepan at openbios.org> wrote:

> > fallback image since I'm burning my images to a ROM emulator. The rom in
> > question is only 512k and I need to fit 'other stuff' in there as well.
>
> You have to do it the other way around. The fallback image is mandatory,
> the normal image is optional.

There really isn't any good documentation on doing this.  If you will
write up your eventual config and what changes you had to make  I'll
see that it gets up in the wiki.

As Stefan said the "Fallback" image is what you want.  Its the first
image booted.  If I remember correctly you can modify your buildrom
statement in your Config.lb  to keep from copying the normal image
into the generated rom.

So changing

buildrom ./linuxbios.rom ROM_SIZE "normal" "fallback"

buildrom ./linuxbios.rom ROM_SIZE "fallback"

should only include the "fallback" image in the final ROM.

However this dosn't mean it will work. *grin* The normal+fallback
scheme is wired in pretty deep.  You may have to go change the startup
files a bit to achieve exactly what you want.

--
Richard A. Smith