[LinuxBIOS] bus 0 dev 0 and fidvid change

Stefan Reinauer stepan at openbios.org
Tue Apr 4 15:01:54 CEST 2006

Ok, I found this one:

* Lu, Yinghai <yinghai.lu at amd.com> [051202 01:59]:
> Please check the issue 41, I make K8 MB can be compiled, and It include
> bus0/dev0 and fidvid change enhancement
>
> HT_CHAIN_UNITID_BASE
> 	Default is 1, and if it is 6, then amd8131 will be from 6, also
> if it is 0, will assume ht chain only have one HT device...

so what exactly does this do? It sets the position of an 8131 on a given
bus? Does this work for all 8131 in a system? What about the 8111?

And that 0 value - is that a special case? What is the connection to the
other functionality? Does that mean there is only an 8111 and no 8131?

Possible values: 0, 1, 6 ? Others?

> HT_CHAIN_END_UNITID_BASE
> 	Default is 0x20 --- mean do not use that, if it is 0, the
> amd8111 will be dev0

do not use what? so i read:
- HT_CHAIN_END_UNITID_BASE == 0x20: 8111 on bus 1
- HT_CHAIN_END_UNITID_BASE == 0x00: 8111 on bus 0

why end unitid base? how is the correlation to HT_CHAIN_UNITID_BASE?

Possible values: 0, 32 ? Others?

> SB_HT_CHAIN_UNITID_OFFSET_ONLY
> 	Default is 1, so if HT_CHAIN_UNITID_BASE!=1, will only offset
> unitid of SB CHAIN.

Possible values: 0, 1? Others?

What does that mean? Why would I only want to offset the unitid of the
SB? SB Chain? Does it change the meaning of HT_CHAIN_UNITID_BASE?

> K8_SB_HT_CHAIN_ON_BUS0
> 	Deault is 0, if it is 1, will put sb chain on bus 0, even for
> S2885 sb ht is on link2, it will put on bus0.

does this require an 8111 southbrigde?

> K8_SET_FIDVID in cache_as_ram_auto.c or auto.c

> Fidvid change to sync the fid on 4 way or more system with different cpu
> installed....

I thought SMP systems need identical CPUs installed, according to AMD
BKDG? Is this option dangerous? Does it downclock faster CPUs to work
sanely in SMP context?

> Put following sequence in your cache_as_ram_auto.c after ht is set.
> enable_fid_change();
> enable_fid_change_on_sb();
> init_fidvid_bsp(bsp_apicid);

This is only needed if I want to use different CPUs?

> please check init_cpus.c and fidvid.c and amd8111_early_ctrl.c for
> detail....

Stefan