[LinuxBIOS] Via Epia ML5000, LinuxBios, Filo -- 99 there, need help with last 1 !

Daniel Parthey pada at chemonline.de
Tue Apr 18 13:20:04 CEST 2006

Eric Poulsen schrieb:
> I'm trying to get the VGA console working.
> I've been looking through the email archives without much success,
> then I found this page:
>
> http://linuxbios.org/index.php/VGA_support
>
> I have a Via Epia ML5000 board.

Note that the ML Board is slightly different from the M board and target,
e.g. firewire, cardbus and second raiser card support is missing.

You should prepend an original VGA BIOS from and old VIA M 1.13 BIOS:
http://www.via.com.tw/download/mainboards/1/0/i0100113.bin
You can extract the VGA image from the BIOS image with Award BIOS Editor:
http://awdbedit.sf.net

You might have a look into my pdf document where the setup is described:
http://archiv.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/2006/0066/data/studienarbeit.pdf
Please read section 4.2.1

Also have a look into my patches under ./bios/linuxbios/install/patches/ of
http://archiv.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/2006/0066/data/dateien.tar.gz
Some of the changes you might consider useful for the ML board.

> /1. in MB Config.lb You need to specify for your onboard VGA /
> /device pci 9.0 on # PCI
> /        chip drivers/pci/onboard
>                device pci 9.0 on end
>                register "rom_address" = "0xfff80000" #512k image
>                #register "rom_address" = "0xfff00000" #1M image
>        end
> end/
I did not change anything of this section.

I can confirm that factory VGA is working with LinuxBIOSv2 r2169 on an
EPIA ML-6000EA board. The only remaining problem is that after any
kernel soft "reboot", the screen content is crippled and the machine hangs.
After each hard reset or power cycle the machine starts fine.

HTH,
Daniel.
Jabber: pada at jabber.ccc.de