[LinuxBIOS] Kernel crash output

Eric Poulsen eric at zyxod.com
Wed Apr 26 20:50:24 CEST 2006

Peter Stuge wrote:
> You're sending replies only to me - let's keep it on the list for
> the benefit of others as well. Thanks! :)

I'm trying -- the lack of a "reply-to" header for the list is really weird.

> On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 11:20:59AM -0700, Eric Poulsen wrote:
>
>> 1) Use factory BIOS, re-save CMOS, Boot OS, Reboot later using LB
>> 2) Use factory BIOS, NOT re-save CMOS, Boot OS, Reboot later using LB
>> 3) Use factory BIOS, re-save CMOS, powerdown, boot use LB
>> 4) Use factory BIOS, NOT re-save CMOS, powerdown, boot use LB
>> 5) Other ?
>>
>> "re-save CMOS" means entering BIOS menu and choosing "save changes
>> and exit"
>>
>> When I have the crash problem, I have been using option #3.  I'm
>> not sure if that answers your question =)
>>

> Sorry, no. But the question was badly stated as well. :) More below.

>>> Worked reliably or did not crash while you were looking?
>>>
>> The crash _always_ occurs during initial kernel execution, before
>> 'init' starts.
>>

> Depending on what the problem is, the system could crash later on as
> well, just that it hasn't been left running long enough or with such
> loads that the problem appears.
>

>>> Can you reliably reproduce the crash? If not there's no way to
>>> tell if the problem has been fixed or merely isn't manifesting
>>> itself at that particular point in time.
>>>
>>> Does just rebooting with LinuxBIOS produce different results than
>>> factory(resetCMOS)->LinuxBIOS?
>>>
>> Rebooting with LB crashes every time, until I reset the CMOS with
>> the Factory BIOS.  This is why I think it might be a CMOS issue --
>> the crashing seems stateful.
>>

> Ok! So the only successful way to boot LinuxBIOS under any
> circumstances is to first boot factory BIOS, have it do something
> (possibly rewrite CMOS, possibly something else) and then reboot into
> LinuxBIOS without powering off the system?

Not at all.  After the "reset," I can power down and restart (this is
typical because I just hit the power switch, and linux shuts down).
Often, I can come back later and it boots fine.  Then, it suddenly
starts having issues, and this is persistent until the "reset."  It
_seems_ (but I haven't verified) to be exacerbated by having the machine
off for a few hours/days.
> If it works also when powering off between factory BIOS and
> LinuxBIOS, please leave the system powered off several hours up to a
> day and see it that works too.

Haha I hadn't read this paragraph when I wrote the above.  It seems that
long off times screws up LB.

>>> I second Richard on running memtest86, RAM problems can cause all
>>> sorts of funny things.
>>>
>> I'll hit the ram test ASAP.  I've had other weird issues, such as
>> the kernel taking a REALLY LONG time to initialize stuff.  This is
>> new RAM, so hopefully still under warranty.
>>

> Since this is code setting up the DRAM controller the RAM test also
> serves as a code test.
>

>>> Any system that requires special data to be in CMOS or anywhere else
>>> and does not validate this data before using it is broken.
>>>
>> If by "system" you mean the BIOS, then I agree.
>>

> Any system. Development 101 has to be "validate the input!"

True.