[LinuxBIOS] MB1030 / 3036 VGA comes up :D

Richard Smith smithbone at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 17:07:37 CEST 2006

> > It seems not :(
> >
> > To initialize the vga is done in 90!!! seconds :(
>

> WOW. WHAT is going on ? Normal vga is enabled in a second or two at
> worst in most cases.

Its interesting that Nick Barker reported a long delay when trying to
run the via video bios on and epia under  the emulator.  Only his bios
never worked.  Chris is using a gx1 and sees a  long delay as well but
his actually works.

In both cases its a somewhat off-color x86.  I wonder if the emulator
is making some assumption that isn't valid on these platforms.

Chris:  I don't remember you reporting that the usermode emulator took
that long.  Will you please enable all the same debugging options and
compare the run times.

Another thing to consider is that the in-tree emulator may be running
in a non-optimal enviroment where the user-mode emulator has had Linux
booted to fix up the chipset.

What does the emulator do with access to the timer?  I know I had a
problem a long time ago under the user mode emulator with a vbios that
didn't like the extra delays associated with being under the emulator.
 It caused the bios's delay function to hang out for _much_ longer
than requested.

--
Richard A. Smith