[LinuxBIOS] AMD Turion - AGESA

Peter Stuge stuge-linuxbios at cdy.org
Fri Aug 11 15:27:19 CEST 2006

On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 02:32:33PM +0200, jf simon wrote:
> But it was my understanding that AMD was willing to share
> information so that linubios runs on AMD CPUs. Is this true?

It is certainly true. There is at least one person active on this
mailing list working for AMD who contributes a lot of information
and code.

On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 06:44:55AM -0600, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> As this thread clarified even the latest AMD work does not require
> AGESA.

To re-iterate, AGESA is not useful in LinuxBIOS - from what I
understand it's a bunch of assembly that "plugs in" to traditional
BIOS codebases in order to quickly assemble a new BIOS for a
particular AMD CPU.

Traditional BIOS codebases are generally all assembly and not very
well-designed. I would argue that LinuxBIOS is the opposite.

LinuxBIOS has excellent support for several AMD CPUs, lately a lot
of work is going into the GX2 platform since that's what OLPC is
using. Earlier lots of effort was put into making Opteron based
servers work perfectly.

Look around in the source tree. It has a little bit of a learning
curve (which I haven't climbed to the top) but you should be able
find your way around pretty quickly.

I'd suggest looking around in the src/cpu/amd/model_fxx and
src/northbridge/amd/amdk8 directories for interesting code.

E.g. src/cpu/amd/model_fxx/model_fxx_init.c at 14kb might be what
you're asking for.

//Peter