[LinuxBIOS] Booting LinuxBIOS on an EPIA-V

Fredrik Tolf fredrik at dolda2000.com
Sat Aug 26 14:30:47 CEST 2006

On Sat, 2006-08-26 at 13:25 +0100, Ben Hewson wrote:
> Fredrik Tolf wrote:
> > On Sat, 2006-08-26 at 04:48 -0500, Richard Smith wrote:
> > > Something must be different with the Com port on that board.
> >
> > Alternatively, what flash chip are you using? I don't know about your
> > EPIA 5000, but my EPIA V came with a 256 KiB flash chip from the
> > factory, and I bought a 512 KiB one that I'm playing with. That means,
> > however, that when I'm making a 256 KiB LinuxBIOS flash image, I have to
> > make sure to prepend it with 256 KiB of padding, to ensure that it hits
> > the top of the address space.
>
> I have a bios savour installed which has the original bios in it and I
> am using the on-board flash for linuxbios. Both are 256k  (39SF020A)
> part.

I see, then that's probably not it. I'm "hotplugging" the BIOS chips by
hand.

> I am assuming, maybe wrongly that EPIA V and the EPIA 5000 are the
> same board.

Since you're using SDRAM, I cannot imagine there being any larger
differences, but just for reference, my board has a VT8601A northbridge
and a VT8231 southbridge. If your board are using the same, then I guess
that they are at least functionally equivalent.

Fredrik Tolf