[LinuxBIOS] VGA Fonts

steve yannalfo fourstar10_2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 29 21:46:05 CEST 2006

Hello Everyone,

    I have had very good success with LB but I am having trouble with the VGA fonts during boot but, the screen becomes readable when the kernel loads "setfont" in the init-scripts. (that uses ioctls etc.) Also, xdm loads fine. (Also, the display is cleaner sooner if I use FB in the kernel, but I loose output again during init-scripts, and then OK for login prompt.)

I have an on-board ATI M9, and have included the vgabios part in th LB image.

I have tried many sequences of writing to the VGA regs in vga_console.c->vga_hardware_fixup() including loading fonts & colormaps but, nothing I do there seems to affect the display output.
I know I am in that function ok... just,  nothing to seems to work.

    // sequencer
    outw(0x0612,0x3C4 );                         /* unlock ext regs    */
    mdelay(5);
    outw(0x0700,0x3C4);                        /* reset ext sequence mode  */
    mdelay(5);
    outw(0x0120,0x3C4);                        /* disable video */
    mdelay(5);

    setTextRegs(VgaTextRegs);                /* initial register setup */
    mdelay(5);
    setTextCLUT();                                /* load color lookup table */
    mdelay(5);
    loadFont();                                        /* load font */
    mdelay(5);
    setTextRegs(VgaTextRegs);                /* reload registers */
    mdelay(5);

    outw(0x0100,0x3C4);                        /* re-enable video  */
    mdelay(5);
    outb(0x63,0x3c2);                            /* MISC */
    mdelay(50);

It is like the vga part of the bios has intentionally left out the fonts, and any writes to 0xa0000000 or the vga regs have no effect.

The vga bios is copied correctly:
rom address for PCI: 03:01.0 = fff80000
copying VGA ROM Image from 0xfff80000 to 0xc0000, 0xf000 bytes
entering emulator
halt_sys: file /work/bios/linuxbios/src/devices/emulator/x86emu/ops.c, line 4485
OK

thanks
steve

I know I am asking a lot...:-)