[LinuxBIOS] IT8718F support.

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Thu Aug 31 01:51:23 CEST 2006

Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> * Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> [060830 18:17]:
>
>> We face various constraints here:
>> * People are less likely to perform experiments with their newest machines
>
> While we only care for exactly those because of the costs and time
> involved in supporting a system

That's the question. Do we want to continue supporting highly expensive
boards like Tyan where hardly anyone will sacrifice a system to LinuxBIOS
testing or do we want to reach the masses. For the masses, anything less
than *perfect* support for the machine they use daily is unacceptable.
And we will probably not reach good support of a board until long after
the board is out of production, bringing us back to square one.
Just look at how many people use binary-only drivers to get a bit more
performance on their machines for daily use even if free drivers exist.

I'm for supporting slightly outdated systems (like AMD Socket 754/939)
and against putting any effort into the latest and greatest.

>> * flashrom should work on the systems we are targeting to eliminate the
>>   need for an EEPROM programmer
>
>> * provide linuxbios-check .rpm/.deb/.tar.gz/ebuild with the following
>>   (half-)automated tests:
>>   - sensors-detect for SuperIO detection
>
> The SuperIO can also be auto detected. I think I saw the code for this
> somewhere.

You mean, a different method than probing SMBus?

Regards,
Carl-Daniel
--
http://www.hailfinger.org/