[LinuxBIOS] Tyan s2895 clarification

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Thu Aug 31 15:41:34 CEST 2006

* Lionel Elie Mamane <lionel at mamane.lu> [060829 17:03]:
> I'm confused. My Tyan s2895 has a 8Mbit LPC Flash ROM, so I thought I
> could not use a RD1 Bios Savior, as no 8Mbit model was available; this
> kept me from trying out LinuxBIOS by fear of turning my computer into
> an expensive paper weight. But now I see posts to this ML's archive
> (such as
> http://www.linuxbios.org/pipermail/linuxbios/2006-January/013420.html)
> that talk about using 4Mbit savior with the Tyan s2895.

While the original bios needs 1MB (8MBit), LinuxBIOS requires quite less
than that. So as long as you put LinuxBIOS in the bios savior chip and
leave the factory bios in its original chip, everything will work fine.
IOSS states that they can not be used because you can not stick another
8MBit BIOS on the savior itself.

Stefan

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613