[LinuxBIOS] #46: Clarify LinuxBIOS vs. OpenBIOS vs. Open Firmware vs. EFI vs. GNUFI etc.

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 02:05:32 CET 2006

On 12/17/06, Stefan Reinauer <stepan at coresystems.de> wrote:
> * ron minnich <rminnich at gmail.com> [061217 22:15]:
> > One thing we could do is say that freebios is what you get when you
> > take linux out of linuxbios. So we have this:
> >
> > foundation: freebios
> >
> > payload: linux ==> means you have linuxbios
>
> So you imply: LinuxBIOS+OpenBIOS -> not LinuxBIOS but FreeBIOS?

I'm not sure. We've had trouble with the naming of this thing forever,
since the time when we first started using non-linux-kernel payloads
like etherboot. That happened in 2001!

In the early days, there was no 'payload' keyword -- the keyword was
'linux' -- since that linux was the only payoad.

Right now we generate a family of BIOS types, including open firmware
(OLPC); linux payload (name?); etherboot payload (name?); and so on.

What makes sense?

ron