[LinuxBIOS] Fwd: [Linux-fbdev-devel] [patch] Framebuffer driver for Geode GX

Richard Smith smithbone at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 18:15:25 CET 2006

On 2/1/06, Li-Ta Lo <ollie at lanl.gov> wrote:

> > AMD's drivers tend to use their OS independant HAL (c.f. cimarron for
> > the Geode LX driver and their use of the Durango API in their old 2.4
> > drivers for the Geode GX).  As such, they're not suitable for inclusion
> > into the kernel anyway.
> >

> >From what I found in the patch.
>
> +#ifdef MODULE
> +MODULE_AUTHOR("AMD");
> +MODULE_DESCRIPTION("Geode GX3 Cimarron graphics engine abstraction
> layer");
> +MODULE_LICENSE("GPL");
> +#endif
>
> Why can't i be include in the kernel?

The module is only an abstraction layer. I suspect that the actual
Cimarron engine may not be GPL.

Even if it is I'm pretty sure there is no way the maintainers would
add an additional HAL layer to the framebuffer code that is only for 1
device type.  For mainline inclusion it needs to use the existing
framework.

You will have to contact the author for more details.

--
Richard A. Smith