[LinuxBIOS] How to ID flash chip type from software?

Peter Stuge stuge-linuxbios at cdy.org
Sun Feb 26 16:55:54 CET 2006

On Sun, Feb 26, 2006 at 06:00:07PM +0300, Anton Borisov wrote:
> Hello.
> 	There is a tricky case - I can't see which exactly flash chip
> installed in system. flashrom from v2161 was unable to identify it
> too. I found an interesting site - http://ctflasher.sourceforge.net
> - however this tool doesn't have bios-flasher yet.

If the requirement is to use software only then perhaps you can make
flashrom print vendor ID and product ID - and use that as reference?

If you do have access to the hardware I suggest identifying the flash
chip visually.

Peel the shiny sticker off the chip if there is one and copy the chip
manufacturer name and model number to the list if you don't recognize