[LinuxBIOS] [Kboot-general] Re: small 64bit initrd

Lu, Yinghai yinghai.lu at AMD.COM
Thu Jan 12 18:17:35 CET 2006

Kexec support 2.4?

YH

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Smith [mailto:smithbone at gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 7:40 PM
To: Werner Almesberger
Cc: Ronald G Minnich; kboot-general at lists.sourceforge.net;
Subject: Re: [LinuxBIOS] [Kboot-general] Re: small 64bit initrd

> > Getting 1 MB is as good as we can do for now.
>
> Hmm, that'll get awfully tight :-(

Its tight but can be done.  I've build a embedded system that booted
out of 1Meg of flash.  2.4 kernel+initrd that loaded a pcmcia module
for the wireless adapter in the system dhcp'ed up the network and then
pulled down a larger ramfs and kexec'ed into it.
I had to build a custom version of the pcmcia tools with uclibc only
doing the absolute minimum to get the wireless interface up.

IIRC I only had a couple of  Kb left over.

--
Richard A. Smith