[LinuxBIOS] Accessibility of LinuxBios

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Mon Jul 3 01:41:49 CEST 2006

* Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org> [060703 01:26]:
> > Maybe this code could be encapsulated, similar to how VGA
> > bios or network boot is handled.
>
> Indeed, except that it relies on serial or USB support, which might not
> be easy to ship in a so encapsulated way.

Serial support is easy. USB is more of a problem as it needs a complete
usb stack at bios time.

> > On the other hand, this would cut off quite some of the bringup from
> > "visibility"
>
> I'm sorry, my poor english couldn't understand that :)

Sorry for the confusion. Transforming sentences from german to english
to french is sometimes hard :)

What I was trying to say is: If you plug it in all code that is executed
before the plugin gets started gets lost.

> Devices usually depend on serial or USB support, plus the /dev/vcsa
> interface for reading the console's content.

mostly due to the fact that new braille terminals mostly use usb rather
than serial this would be the way to go, trying to get the required
system as small as possible (ie uclibc, minimal kernel etc)

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613