[LinuxBIOS] lb on pd10000 {Scanned}

bios at lists.actweb.info bios at lists.actweb.info
Mon Jul 3 17:32:30 CEST 2006

Stefan Reinauer wrote ..
> * Ronald G Minnich <rminnich at lanl.gov> [060703 16:06]:
> > bios at lists.actweb.info wrote:
> > > in file : src/northbridge/via/vt8623/raminit.c
> > >
> > > I added a couple of line to show were in the file its crashing :-
> > >
> > >         /* setup cpu */
> > >         pci_write_config8(north,0x50,0xc8);
> > >         pci_write_config8(north,0x51,0xde);
> > >         pci_write_config8(north,0x52,0xcf);
> > >         pci_write_config8(north,0x53,0x88);
> > >         pci_write_config8(north,0x55,0x04);
> > >         print_debug("vt8623 init step 2\r\n");
> >
> > well, you are becoming a linuxbios hacker, I think :-)
> >
> > >  b = smbus_read_byte(0xa0,17);
>
> > this is kinda weird. On a via chip the lockups always occur on the
> > northbridge, not on spd ...
>
> maybe it is a late or early hang. ie. the code is already some
> instructions further but the machine hung before the serial buffer could
> be emptied.

Ok, sounds posible, is there a way to tell if this is happening?
is the 'print_debug_hex8' routine the one that chucks the post codes out? if so, is this buffered? e.g. rather than just sending to the serial console could i set calls to this routine up as well and output via the post card?, to allow pin pointing the problem?

ok, the other question is, could this have anything to do with the memory being 'DDR-400 CL3' x 512Mb? as i remember seeing a coment in one of the files about asuming there was 266 memory in the machine, and that the code dosnt allow for clocking down, does it allow for clocking up? jsut an idea?

Also what excatly does the smbus hold? is there a datasheet anyware that states what each register within it actually means? and if this is for one particular board, is it posible to read the data from linux while booted to the original bios, and then hard code the data, instead of trying to read it real-time? doing this may allow me to skip a couple of smbus calls and see if its something else causing the problem?

Thanks again for all your help

Matt