[LinuxBIOS] Tyan S2892

Peter Stuge stuge-linuxbios at cdy.org
Tue Jul 4 05:03:54 CEST 2006

On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 08:08:31PM -0500, Arturo Mann wrote:
> Yeah, I agree on the PS. :)
> I have access to the topMAX with another box, yes. <evil grin> :)

And also a DIP->PLCC adapter so you can use it for the SST part?
If you have one or can make one this is your best bet. I'd recommend
using the standalone programmer if at all possible.

> However, do I need to take as a "bad sign" that UniFlash cannot
> verify the programmed LinuxBIOS ELF? Or is it just a sign that
> UniFlash cannot handle that sort of program?
> Oh, btw, the ABIT is PLCC it just seems to be unable to program with
> uniflash
> (or past 512KiB With the standard 1024KiB Tyan Flash)

I'm not an expert on uniflash but it could have limits on flash size
or require some particular checksumming algorithm to be used on the
binary file and have a checksum in a special byte offset to consider
the flash image valid, or maybe it checks this checksum on write
verification so verify fails unless the checksum is correct, etc.
Note that this is only speculation and wild guesses.

If uniflash or the Abit board is limited to 512KiB ROMs verification
will (should) always fail - so maybe this is a matter of the chipset
not decoding more than 512KiB to the LPC bus. This feels more likely
than crazy, damaged code in uniflash.

//Peter