[LinuxBIOS] USB Support

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Fri Jul 7 15:25:19 CEST 2006

* Ronald G Minnich <rminnich at lanl.gov> [060703 22:45]:
> yes, but ... that's how it goes. Very few people want to see linuxbios
> anyway.

We do. But after our job is done, it should not be visible, indeed.

> Many years ago I did an experiment, and was able to set things up so
> that linuxbios log buffer was picked up by the kernel, so you could do a
> dmesg and see linuxbios messages. I think this might be useful to revive.

Do you have a pointer on this one? It indeed sounds very useful.

> I just don't see us putting a fully capable usb stack into linuxbios, it
> will not work as well as the linux usb stack.

Not a USB stack. That would be crap, and it would not work.

Eric pointed this out and I did not even notice what he was saying:

EHCI has a workaround method called the "USB2 Debug port for legacy
free machines"

This debug port can be used by simple inb/outb sequences, not more
complex than serial io.

According to this document

http://www.intel.com/technology/usb/download/DebugDeviceSpec_R090.pdf

what you need is a debug device, which mostly looks like a usb style
null modem cable. No idea where to get this hardware though.

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613