[LinuxBIOS] ultra 40 linuxbios

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Fri Jul 21 17:14:59 CEST 2006

* ron minnich <rminnich at gmail.com> [060721 17:07]:
> Another comment on serial that I recalled last night. On any pc-compatible
> machine, from power on reset, a simple outb('0', 0x3f8) will get you output.
> Having to put a  whole usb stack in there and get it working, for the same
> effect -- UGH!

Which is not really true in all cases. The SuperIO chip might very well
need initialization.

What scares me more than the USB stack (because I believe this is doable
in less than 100 lines for this very purpose of just using the _debug_
mode of EHCI) is that we need to see all PCI devices. This is pretty
much the same problem that keeps us from just plugging in a 10$/€ PCI
Serial card: Slot's behind the bridge and we might not see it early
enough.

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613