[LinuxBIOS] help selecting bios savour for EPIA-M

Richard Smith smithbone at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 17:25:31 CEST 2006

On 6/19/06, Peter Stuge <stuge-linuxbios at cdy.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 08:58:42AM +0100, Jonathan McDowell wrote:
> > > Also one other question :) If the M board takes a 1Mb Flash, can I use
> > > a 2Mb Flash chip? (or takes a 2Mb and use a 4Mb) will the board accept
> > > it? would i be able to access the extra space for, say installing a
> > > kernel or other software?
> >
> > I believe this depends on the board; you need the extra address line(s)
> > brought out to the socket for it to work. I haven't tried it myself. The
> > EPIA-M is a 2M (ie 256Kbyte) part.
>
> If the part is connected via an LPC bus no more lines are needed, but
> then it's up to the address decoder in the southbridge. I don't know
> if they typically only decode limited ranges to the LPC bus.

If you duplicate the image in the larger part then it should work either way.

So if you are using a 2M chip and your orginal was only 1M then take
your 1M image cat it onto itself and use that in your 2M part.  Then
it dosen't matter what the upper address line does.  The code fetched
will be the same.

--
Richard A. Smith