[LinuxBIOS] AMD64 serial setup

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Tue Mar 7 14:17:56 CET 2006

* Ronald G Minnich <rminnich at lanl.gov> [060305 20:54]:
> Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> >
> >>The systems which are causing problems all have a
> >>
> >>  W83627HF revision ID = 0x17
> >>
> >>The OK systems with linuxbios all have:
> >>
> >>  W83627HF revision ID = 0x41
> >>
> >>Unfortunately there does not seem to be a revision guide on the winbond
> >>website. Any ideas anyone?
> >

> >The only information I could find:
> >the W83627HF data sheet says:
> >
> >Version | Device Rev
> >--------+-----------
> >    G   |     17
> >    J   |     3A
> >  UD-A  |     41
> >
> >(http://www.winbond.com/e-winbondhtm/partner/PDFResult.asp?Pname=182)
>
> sorry, I have not been following this one closely. Given that you can
> differentiate the chips, is there some workaround you can force in at
> bios time? How does one fix this?

As a workaround/solution it is possible to add

pci_write_config8(PCI_DEV(0, 0x04, 3), 0x4a, 0x50);

right after console_init() in auto.c.

This switches the 8111 serial irq logic from quiet mode to continuous
mode:

   CONTMD. Continuous mode selected versus quiet mode. 1=The serial IRQ
   logic is in continuous mode. 0=The serial IRQ logic is in quiet mode.
   In continuous mode, the start frame is initiated by the IC
   immediately following each stop frame. In quiet mode, start frames
   are initiated by external slave devices.

I wonder whether this is generally a good idea and should go to 8111
setup for all boards?

Winbond has been very helpful in this issue. They've been answering
all my questions almost immediately.

Stefan

--
coresystems GmbH · Brahmsstr. 16 · D-79104 Freiburg i. Br.
      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 · Fax: +49 761 7664613