[LinuxBIOS] Patch for vmlinux amd64 with mkelfImage

yhlu yinghailu at gmail.com
Sun Nov 5 08:05:57 CET 2006

On 11/4/06, Eric W. Biederman <ebiederm at xmission.com> wrote:
> 1M for bzImage remains fine.  All bootloaders would break if you
> changed that.  But for vmlinux you pretty much have it nailed.

Actually, we only mkelfImage with bzImage before we are trying to use
lzma to compress elf (tiny kernel vmlinux + uncompressed). lzma can
get 5% more space than bz2.

I hope you can keep startup_32 in your new arch/x86_64/kernel/head.S.
then we don't need to switch from 32bit mode to 64 bit mode in head.s
of mkelfImage.  and still convert 64elf to 32bit elf. Also it would
make other 32 bit bootloader still can load vmlinux64.
Then we only need to make sure head.s of mkelfImage can get correct entry_point.

Or we need to make elfboot in LinuxBIOS to be 64elf aware, and it need
to switch 64bit before load 64bit elf.

YH