[LinuxBIOS] 440bx stuff

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Tue Nov 7 12:04:04 CET 2006

* Corey <bario2004 at yahoo.com> [061107 10:43]:
> Okay, I know you guy probably thought you got rid of me, but I'm still
> around.

Glad you are. We never intended to get rid of (potential) contributors. ;-)

> I'm currently trudging through everything I can find for docs
> on both the 440zx-66 and 440bx chipsets, and looking what's currently
> there for code and what exactly needs to be implemented. I still have
> the 440zx mobo (bios mod never worked out), and in the morning I
> should be able to get a 440bx, one that hopefully has a removable bios
> chip.

great.

> I'm curious, is there any way to test the code through software,
> without a flash?

Not for this part of the code. Software emulations dont emulate the
chipset well enough to find out whether your code does the right thing.
Unless you are using SimNow to simulate an AMD system. Dont know if
something like this exists for Intel CPUs though.

> Also, as far as POST cards go, any one thats better
> than the rest? Or just the cheapest thing I can find will work?

Get yourself a serial null modem cable attached to a second box...
its far more useful than a post card. getting serial output is not too
hard.

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613