[LinuxBIOS] 440bx stuff

Johan Rydberg jrydberg at gnu.org
Tue Nov 7 15:44:30 CET 2006

Stefan Reinauer <stepan at coresystems.de> writes:

> But I doubt AMD is going to add Intel CPU plugins to it ;-)
>
> Can Simics to that stuff?

Yes, it can.  Simics is more or less a set of connected components,
that is glued together by a set of scripts that builds the system
configuration.  I know LinuxBIOS has been run on some of the models.

>> What we need is a full-system simulator with the following
>> characteristics;
>> [...]
>
> For this simulator to be done, a whole lot of understanding of the
> hardware components is required, maybe including their errata. Adding
> support for a new component for such a simulator _might_ be more work
> than writing a bios for the same chipset.

Yeah.  I didn't say _we_ should implement a simulator just to run
LinuxBIOS on it.  Other projects should gain from a simulator, but
LinuxBIOS might benefit the most from having one.  Lets just hope
someone identifies the need outside this project.

~j